Ansonia Connecticut History
Ansonia is located in the lower Naugatuck Valley and is known as a copper town. It is known for its history of heavy machinery manufacturing. Welcome to the largest family business in the Northeast serving both Ansonsia and the entire state of Connecticut. The factory was located in Brooklyn, New Haven County, Connecticut, on the corner of Main Street and Main Street and produced brass for industrial use. While the Anonia plants were not completely closed until 1883, Brooklyn developed into an important production site for many years afterwards.
This time Sheldon Smith found a second factory in the village and left, which allowed Anson Phelps to expand the interests of the village. The new location Anonias was to be a village within the city of Derby, which he named after himself and of course Ansonsia belongs to. At the time, he had left the area for Birmingham, Connecticut, but not before he had left his name on it. The entire territory between them was the Housatonic River and the Ousatonic Dam, as well as the Naugatuck River.
It lacked the geographical limitations of Birmingham and benefited from a new railway line from Ansonia to New Haven. The area grew into a practically autonomous city with a population of about 2,000 people, mostly middle class, but also a large number of young people. By the end of the 19th century, the area had expanded and settled, now predominantly middle class as it once was, and the housing market had improved, driven by the growth of the city of Derby and the development of new industries such as manufacturing and building railways.
The confluence of the Naugatuck River and the Housatonic River made it a natural settlement area, and the city of Derby was founded in 1675. A canal was dug out of the river to channel the river energy into the new industrial village that Phelps named Ansonia after the canal.
The Connecticut Charter abolished the Special Court, and two new levels of the Court were established. The city of West Haven formed the West Farms District of New Haven and the city of Orange the North Milford. Both were assigned to the district courts in their respective districts and moved to Orange. The current Ansonia and Milfords Court District fell under the jurisdiction of Shelton, which existed within Fairfield County.
He held hearings in the Huntington Probate District and filed petitions for the area to the state General Assembly, including one that led Shelton and Huntington to cancel Derby and Bridgeport Probates counties to form their own.
On the Fairfield County side, the then town of Shelton became an independent town of Stratford in 1789. It is interesting that some of the witnesses chosen to testify against the secession of Derbies were Edward N. Shelton, after whom the town was named in Shelon, and Charles Nettleton, who was the first leader of the Shelton Borough in 1882 and 1883. Better known as West Birmingham in the 1870s, the area was incorporated into the Shelton district in 1890.
Elm Street was part of the original Derby settlement of 1654 and is also located in the historic district of the city. During the battle that was fought in this area, General David Humphreys became the first police chief of Ansonia, and later the Milford Police Department was moved to its current location on West River Street. The former high school was turned into Anonia Middle School when the new Ansonsia High School was built, but the building on West River Street is now exclusively dedicated to the Anosia-Milford-Milfords (Mil Ford) Courthouse.
He ran a New York watch business for many years and then went to Pennsylvania for a few years, returned to Connecticut in 1864 and became involved in the oil business. He remained in Jersey City, New Jersey City, until his death in January 1881, and then died in Ansonia on January 14, 1884, at the age of 74. On January 16, 2008, Birmingham Utilities' Anonia Division was sold to the New Jersey Department of Public Utilities, a subsidiary of the City of New Haven.
The company renamed itself and moved production to Ansonia, CT, and the company moved its manufacturing facilities from New York City to New Haven, Connecticut. The company's main manufacturing facility was located at its original location on the corner of Main Street and State Street in the Anonia neighborhood.
This land is known for being the site of a Phelps stone factory used by the Jerome Manufacturing Company of New Haven. In 1851, the company expanded to Waterbury, Connecticut, where foundries, machinery and ships were built. Terry Andrews became the largest watch manufacturer in Bristol and in 1853 Terry and Andrews moved to Ansonia, CT.
Southwick Rail Trail runs north of the Massachusetts - Connecticut state line to the Westfield Town Line. A joint route was built, and the Waterbury Branch trains ran from Waterbury North to Bridgeport South, allowing residents of Ansonia to easily access both the New Haven and Hartford railroad lines and the Connecticut State Railroad.